Publications - Avenell, Simon
Please contact this author at Simon.Avenell@anu.edu.au for other publications information.
- Avenell, S (2014). Japanese Debates on Asia and Asianism: A Conceptual Framework History Compass. Vol. 12 619-631.
- Avenell, S (2014). What is Asia for Us and Can We Be Asians? The New Asianism in Contemporary Japan Modern Asian Studies. Vol. 48 1594-1636.
- Avenell, S (2013). Film review: ANPO, ART X WAR: The Art of Resistance Pacific Affairs. Vol. 86 706-708.
- Avenell, S (2013). The Borderless Archipelago: Toward a Transnational History of Japanese Environmentalism Environment and History. Vol. 19 397-425.
- Avenell, S (2012). Civic Engagement in Postwar Japan: The Revival of a Defeated Society (review) Journal of Japanese Studies. Vol. 38 488-493.
- Avenell, S (2012). Japan's Long Environmental Sixties and the Birth of a Green Leviathan Japanese Studies. Vol. 32 423-444.
- Avenell, S (2012). From Fearsome Pollution to Fukushima: Environmental Activism and the Nuclear Blind Spot in Contemporary Japan Environmental History. Vol. 17 244-276.
- Avenell, S (2011). Genron NPO: Debating Politics and Policy in Japan Asian Politics and Policy. Vol. 3 157-158.
- Avenell, S (2011). Japan and the global revival of the 'civil society' idea: contemporaneity and the retreat of criticality Japan Forum. Vol. 23 311-338.
- Avenell, S (2010). Facilitating Spontaneity: The State and Independent Volunteering in Contemporary Japan Social Science Japan Journal. Vol. 13 69-93.
- Avenell, S (2009). Book review: The Failure of Civil Society? The Third Sector and the State in Contemporary Japan by Akihiro Ogawa Asian Anthropology. Vol. 8 143-146.
- Avenell, S (2009). Civil Society and the New Civic Movements in Contemporary Japan: Convergence, Collaboration, and Transformation Journal of Japanese Studies. Vol. 35 247-283.
- Avenell, S (2008). From the People to the Citizen: Tsurumi Shunsuke and the Roots of Civic Mythology in Postwar Japan Positions: East Asia Cultures Critique. Vol. 16 711-742.
- Avenell, S (2010). Making Japanese Citizens: Civil Society and the Mythology of the Shimin in Postwar Japan . Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- Avenell, S (2013). Beyond mimesis: Japan and the uses of political ideology in Singapore. In Paul Morris, Naoko Shimazu, Edward Vickers (Ed.), Imagining Japan in Post-war East Asia: Identity Politics, Schooling and Popular Culture (pp. 29-48) Abingdon, UK and New York, USA: Routledge.
- Avenell, S (2013). The Evolution of Disaster Volunteering in Japan: From Kobe to Tohoku. In Kinnia Yau Shuk-ting (Ed.), Natural Disaster and Reconstruction in Asian Economies: A Global Synthesis of Shared Experiences (pp. 35-50) New York: Palgrave Macmillan Ltd.
- Avenell, S (2012). From Kobe to Tohoku: The potential and the peril of a volunteer infrastructure. In Jeff Kingston (Ed.), Natural Disaster and Nuclear Crisis in Japan: Response and Recovery after Japan's 3/11 (pp. 53-77) New York: Routledge.